Leading a healthy lifestyle is all about balance, and balance means enjoying life’s little luxuries such as this delicious Pear and Apple Crumble. It’s perfect for warming tummies on a cold day and – while the apple and pear combination is excellent – it can be made using several combinations of fruit such as mixed berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry and cherries). An easy dessert with ingredients you probably have on hand.
PEAR AND APPLE CRUMBLE
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup traditional rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- 6 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180.C. Place apples, pears, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon water into a small saucepan.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until fruit softens.
- Spoon mixture into four 3/4 cup-capacity ovenproof dishes and place onto a
- Combine remaining sugar, flour, oats, oil and nuts in a bowl. Sprinkle over
apple and pear mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until topping is golden.
- Serve crumbles with low-fat yoghurt.
Recipe courtesy of our Dietician Partners, Nutted Out Nutrition